OAK FIRE CLEAN-UP INFORMATION
If you lost your home or had property damaged in the Oak Fire - click here for more information on how Cal Recycle handles the no-cost clean-up. There are several steps involved. The most important thing to remember is starting the clean-up yourself could DISQUALIFY you from the no-cost clean-up.
HOME OWNERS INSURANCE INFORMATION
EVACUATED IN OAK FIRE? YOUR INSURANCE MAY REIMBURSE FOR LIVING EXPENSES
If you were evacuated from your home, you may qualify for reimbursement through your homeowner’s or renter's insurance through the “Additional Living Expenses” coverage, known as ALE. ALE coverage typically includes food and housing costs, furniture rental, relocation and storage, and extra transportation expenses, among other costs. An estimated 6,000 Mariposa residents are under evacuation orders, representing approximately one-third of the county’s population.
Some additional helpful tips:
- Keep all receipts during your evacuation.
- Policy provisions, including deductibles, vary by company, and residents should check with their insurance company or agent as soon as possible to confirm coverage, limits, and any other limitations and documentation requirements.
- Most renter’s policies also typically include ALE coverage.
- Document the date, time and names of any insurance company employees you speak to regarding your coverage. It’s best to email them directly if possible to have them confirm via email what you believe you understood in your call. This way you have information in writing.
PROTECTIONS PREVENT INSURERS FROM DROPPING YOU FOR A YEAR
Under state law, once the fire’s perimeter is determined by the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) in consultation with the Governor's Office of Emergency Services, the Department of Insurance will identify ZIP codes that will be subject to a one-year protection from homeowners insurance non-renewal or cancellation due to wildfire risk.
HAVE A COMPLAINT ABOUT THE CALIFORNIA FAIR PLAN?
If you are having trouble with or have questions about the California FAIR Plan, you can contact the Department of Insurance. If you believe you have been treated unfairly, you can file a claim, and the Department of Insurance will look into it for you to make sure you all the proper protocols are being followed. If you need assistance with this, please call my office at 559-446-2029.
NEED HELP WITH STATE AGENCIES?
If you need help with the following state agencies, please call my district office at 559-446-2029. My office can assist you and often expedite your issue.
DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES
We can expedite the replacement of DMV documents for fire victims:
- Driver's Licenses
- Identification Cards
- Vehicles Cards Certificates
- Certificates of Titles
HELP WITH THE FAIR PLAN
If you have an issue with the insurance company you were assigned to through the FAIR plan, you can call my office. If you are trying to reach them to file a claim and they’re not responding – call us.
We can help you file a complaint Department of Insurance.
If you are unable to work as a result of this fire. We can help you file a claim with the EDD. We have done this for thousands of people and want to help you too.
If you go through the Local Assistance Center to file for unemployment, you can still call my office. We have a direct line with these agencies and can fix issues that would have you waiting for months.
If you have requested any of the following documents from the county and it's taking too long, call my office. We can help expedite this through the state Department of Public Health.
- Birth certificates
- Death certificates
- Marriage certificates
- Divorce certificates
LOOKING FOR MORE INFORMATION ON WHAT TO DO NEXT?
United Policyholders is a non-profit 501(c)(3) whose mission is to be a trustworthy and useful information resource and a respected voice for consumers of all types of insurance in all 50 states. They have Q&As and videos about how to clear your property, how to make sure you get the most out of your claim, and more.
Their most helpful and popular web pages are linked below:
- Top 10 Insurance Claim Tips
- FAQ’s about Property Damage Insurance Claims
- Insurance Claim Tips For Partial Loss Fires
- FAQs about Home Insurance Claims in California
- A Simplified Guide to Your Homeowners Policy
- Rebuilding 101: A Guide to the Reconstruction Process
- Home Inventory and Contents Claim Tips
- Underinsurance 101